Besides great sights, an interesting history and many exciting destinations, Winnersh has a lot more to offer. Here you will find many helpful tips to enjoy your vacation in Winnersh.
Here you can find hotels in the area of Winnersh
Just type in your destination and get many different suggestions.
Sights in Winnersh
The city of Winnersh is located in the county of Berkshire in England. It is situated about 10 miles (16 km) southwest of Reading, 30 miles (48 km) east of Swindon and 40 miles (64 km) west of London. The town has a population of around 11,000 people.
The name Winnersh is derived from the Old English winn and hlaw meaning “a hill where victories were won”. The town was recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086 as Winersch.
The toponym has been spelled in various ways over the centuries, including Wynnersh (12th century), Winnarsh (13th century), Wynnersh (14th century), Wynnarsh (15th century), Winnersh (16th century) and Winnerish (17th century).
The town is home to the annual Winnersh Triangle Music Festival which takes place in late August/early September. The festival showcases local and unsigned musical talent.
Winnersh has a variety of shops, pubs and restaurants. There is also a library, a community centre, a doctor’s surgery and a dentist.
The town is served by two primary schools Willowbrook Primary School and Reading Blue Coat CE Primary School and one secondary school The Forest School.
There are regular bus services to Reading, Wokingham and Maidenhead. Winnersh railway station is on the Reading to Gatwick Airport branch of the South Western Main Line.
Just to the south of the town is the M4 motorway.
Some of the notable sights in Winnersh include:
Reading Blue Coat CE Primary School: This is a Grade II listed building which dates back to 1837. It was designed by the architect Edward Blore.
Winnersh Triangle Music Festival: This annual music festival takes place in late August/early September and showcases local and unsigned musical talent.
Willowbrook Primary School: This is a primary school which was built in 1957. It has capacity for around 420 pupils.
Winnersh railway station: This is a railway station on the Reading to Gatwick Airport branch of the South Western Main Line. It was opened in 1848.
M4 motorway: This is a motorway which runs just to the south of Winnersh. It was opened in 1959.
History of Winnersh
The name ‘Winnersh’ first appears in the Wintraegelda record of 1004, when King Ethelred the Unready granted land here to his thegn Wulstan.
It is thought that a village grew up around Wulstan’s estate, and by the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 it was large enough to be recorded as a ‘manor’.
The winnersh area has been home to people for over 10,000 years, as evidenced by Mesolithic flint tools that have been found in the area.
The first written record of Winnersh is in the will of Wulstan, a thegn of King Ethelred II, who in 1004 bequeathed his Winnersh estate to his son Alfwold.
Although there are no surviving records of the manor house that Alfwold built, it is known that by the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 the manor had passed to his son Ulvric.
Ulvric is thought to have built a moated manor house on the site of the present day Winnersh Triangle, and it is possible that the earthworks of his moat can still be seen in the field to the south of the Triangle.
By the early 14th century the manor had passed to the de la Pole family, and it remained in their hands for over 250 years.
During this time the manor house was rebuilt and extended on several occasions, most notably in the late 16th century when Sir Edward de la Pole, nephew of the Duke of Suffolk, carried out a major refurbishment.
Sir Edward was an ardent Catholic, and it is said that he secretly converted the manor house into a safe house for Catholic priests, who were then illegal in England.
Following Sir Edward’s death in 1606 the manor was acquired by Sir John Wentworth, a wealthy merchant and member of Parliament.
In 1620 Sir John embarked on a major rebuilding programme, which resulted in the present day Wentworth House.
The Wentworth family remained at the manor until 1746, when it was sold to Philip Yorke, later to become Lord Hardwicke, Lord Chancellor of England.
During the ownership of the Yorke family the manor was once again extended and altered, most notably in 1784 when Philip Yorke, 2nd Earl of Hardwicke, added the East and West Wings.
The manor remained in the hands of the Yorke family until 1922, when it was sold to Winnersh Council.
Winnersh Council used the manor house as a venue for public events and as a headquarters for its housing and planning departments.
However, by the late 20th century the manor had fallen into disrepair and was no longer fit for purpose.
In 2001 the council sold the manor to a property developer, who then carried out a major refurbishment programme.
The manor house is now a grade II listed building, and is home to a number of businesses.
The surrounding parkland is also open to the public, and is a popular spot for dog walkers and picnickers.
Vacation in Winnersh
While it might not be the most exciting city in England, Winnersh offers a wide range of vacation possibilities for tourists. The city is located in the heart of the country, making it a convenient jumpingoff point for exploring the rest of England. History buffs will enjoy the many museums and historic sites located in Winnersh, while those looking for a more active vacation can take advantage of the city’s close proximity to the countryside for hiking and biking. There are also a number of golf courses in the area for those who want to relax and enjoy the scenic views.
Other vacation destinations in England: