West Covina is located in the state of California and has a lot of culture to offer as well as great sights and interesting destinations. So if you’re planning a trip to West Covina, you’ve come to the right place!
Here you can find different housings and hotels around West Covina
Just type in your destination and get many different suggestions.
Vacation in West Covina
There are a number of vacation possibilities in the city of West Covina, United States. The city is located in the state of California and is just a short drive from Los Angeles. This makes it a great option for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. There are a number of beaches nearby that make for great days out, or you could head into the mountains for some hiking and camping. The city itself has a number of museums and galleries to explore, as well as a range of restaurants and bars. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing break or an actionpacked vacation, West Covina has something to offer.
Sights in West Covina
West Covina is a city located in Los Angeles County, California. The city is about 22 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 106,098.
The city was incorporated as an independent city in 1923. The city is known for its familyfriendly environment and strong sense of community. The city is home to numerous parks and recreation facilities, as well as toprated schools.
The city’s major attractions include the West Covina Sportsplex, which features a variety of sports and fitness facilities; the Payne Whitney House, a historic Victorian mansion; and the Bigractic Ranch, a working ranch that offers horseback riding lessons and trail rides.
Other points of interest include the California Route 66 Museum, the Citadel Outlets, and the West Covina Fashion Plaza. There are also a number of parks and recreation areas located throughout the city, such as Edgewood Park, Sierra Vista Park, and Glendora Wilderness Park.
History of West Covina
West Covina is a city located in Los Angeles County, California, about 19 miles (31 km) east of Downtown Los Angeles. The population for the city was 106,098 at the 2010 census. West Covina was incorporated as an independent city in 1923 to prevent the city of Covina from building a sewer system that would serve the area. The two cities had always been linked commercially and by the rapidly growing automobile industry, but incorporation was seen as a way to forestall any attempts at incorporation by neighboring cities. The initial boundary was roughly shaped like a lefthanded bowtie, with a northern border at Garvey Avenue and a southern border at I10, although it later annexed land north of Garvey Avenue and south ofI10.
The westernmost edge of the city lies along the San Gabriel River, while the northernmost reaches of the city touch the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. Elevations in the city range from 460 to 1,300 feet (140 to 400 meters). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 30.0 square miles (78 km2), of which, 29.7 square miles (77 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) of it (0.97%) is water.
West Covina began askey agricultural center of southern California during the early twentieth century when the region was known as the Cucamonga Valley and then as the San Gabriel Valley. The known history of the area dates back to the founding of Mission San Gabriel Arcangel in 1771, but the recorded written history begins in 1810 when Spanish soldier Ewing Young filed a claim for the land now known as West Covina. In 1908, the Fruit Growers Supply Company built a packing shed in the Cucamonga Valley near the intersection of Arrow Highway and what would later become Foothill Boulevard. The city of West Covina was incorporated on October 26, 1923, portions of its territory were taken from Pomona, Covina, Walnut,626, providing access between the two cities.
West Covina’s main commercial street used to be called Vineyard Avenue, named after the many grape and citrus vineyards that once dotted the area, but was renamed Benson Avenue in honor of local merchant and landowner John Benson. The city has grown rapidly since its incorporation, with residential neighborhoods sprouting up all over the city. The original residential core of the city is known today as the “Benson Neighborhood” after John Benson. As larger plots of land were subdivided and more homes built, other neighborhoods sprang up including the “Sunshine Neighborhood”, “Alta Loma neighborhood”. “Westwood neighborhood”, “East View neighborhood”, “Firestone Park neighborhood”. ” South Hills neighborhood”, “Valley View neighborhood”, and “La Puente neighborhood”. The available land in the rapidly growing city was quickly exhausted, and new home construction shifted to neighboring communities such as Baldwin Park, Irwindale, Industry, Walnut, and Vincent.
In 1953, the Vincent Tract became the last remaining undeveloped area of land in the city. The tract, which consisted of open fields and cattle pastures, was bisected by the San Bernardino Freeway (now I10) and bordered by the Santa Fe Railroad tracks to the south and Covina Hills Road to the north. The city of Covina annexed the Vincent Tract in three separate proceedings in 1957, 1959, and 1961. The annexations added 5,024 acres (20.4 km²) of developable land to the city, providing room for over 60,000 additional residents.
In 1957, the first residential subdivision in the annexed area, Villa Park Estates, was developed and sold. The subdivision, which consists of floor plans designed by noted California modernist architect Cliff May, was immediately popular with homebuyers and quickly sold out. Following the success of Villa Park Estates, other developers began building tracts of modern ranchstyle homes in the annexed Vincent Tract. The city continued its aggressive annexation campaign in the following years, annexing the Northcot Business Park in 1959 and the Leverich Tract in 1961. The annexation of the Leverich Tract nearly doubled the size of the city and provided room for an additional 20,000 residents.
The population of West Covina has been relatively stable in recent years. The slight increase in population between 2000 and 2010 is due largely to the annexation of the Leverich and Vincent Tracts in the 1950s and 1960s. The city’s population is expected to grow slightly in the coming years as new home construction resumes in the Leverich and Vincent Tracts and surrounding areas.
Other vacation destinations in the United States: