Besides great sights, an interesting history and many exciting destinations, Stafford has a lot more to offer. Here you will find many helpful tips to enjoy your vacation in Stafford.
Here you can find hotels in the area of Stafford
Just type in your destination and get many different suggestions.
Sights in Stafford
Welcome to Stafford, a historic market town in the county of Staffordshire in England. Although Stafford is only a small town, it is home to a number of historic and interesting sights.
The most notable of these is Stafford Castle, which dates back to the 11th century. The castle was built by the Norman conquerors of England and today is one of the bestpreserved examples of Norman architecture in the country. The castle is open to the public and is well worth a visit.
Another interesting sight in Stafford is St. Chad’s Church. This 12thcentury church is one of the oldest in England and is notable for its unique Norman architecture. The church is still used for worship today and is also open to the public.
Just outside of Stafford is the ruins of the Abbey of Saint Edmund. This 13thcentury abbey was once one of the largest and most powerful in England but was destroyed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries under King Henry VIII. Today, only the ruins of the Abbey Church remain, but it is still an impressive sight.
If you are interested in history and architecture, Stafford is a great town to visit. There are also a number of shops and cafes in the town centre, so you can relax and enjoy your time here.
History of Stafford
The city of Stafford is located in the county of Staffordshire in central England. It is situated on the River Trent and is some 29 miles (47 km) north of Birmingham and 52 miles (84 km) southwest of Manchester. Stafford has a population of approximately 63,000 people. The urban area includes the town of Stone which has a population of around 10,000.
The history of Stafford goes back to Roman times when the town was known as Stobo. The Romans built a fort here around AD 70 to protect the frontier of their empire. The fort was located on a high point overlooking the River Trent. After the Romans left Britain in the 5th century, the town was occupied by the Saxons who called it Stafford. In 913, the town was captured by the Danes (or Vikings) and it became known as ‘StaffordonTrent’.
The Normans conquered England in 1066 and Stafford was given to Bertram de Verdun. He built a castle on the site of the old Roman fort. The castle was later rebuilt in stone by Henry II. In 1164, the town was given a charter by Henry II which allowed for a market to be held here. The market is still held today and is held every Wednesday.
During the medieval period, Stafford was an important market town and it also had a thriving wool industry. The town was also an important staging post on the Watling Street – the main road between London and Chester.
In the 16th century, the town was the scene of a rebellion against the enclosures of common land. This was led by Wat Tyler and Jack Cade. However, the rebellion was quickly put down and the town remained largely tranquil for the rest of the century.
During the English Civil War, Stafford was a Royalist town and it was besieged by Parliamentarian troops in 1643. The siege was eventually lifted and the town came under Parliamentarian control.
In the 18th century, the town grew rapidly due to the opening of coal mines in the area. The population of the town increased from around 2,000 in 1700 to over 10,000 by 1800. The town continued to grow in the 19th century and its industries included brewing, iron foundries, brickworks and textiles.
The town was granted city status in 1965. In 1974, the county of Staffordshire was merged with the county of StokeonTrent and Stafford became the administrative centre of the new county of Staffordshire.
Today, Stafford is a thriving market town with a busy shopping centre. It is also home to a number of businesses and industries. The town’s museums and art gallery are popular tourist attractions.
Vacation in Stafford
Stafford is a town in Staffordshire, England. It is the administrative centre of the Borough of Stafford. It lies on the River Sow, a tributary of the River Trent, and is 25 miles (40 km) north of StokeonTrent and 60 miles (97 km) northwest of Birmingham. Stafford means ‘ford by a staithe’. The earliest known reference to the town is in the Staffordshire Charter of 806, which refers to it as ‘STAFORDECAE’.
The first settlement developed around a Saxon burh or fortified town, which was probably an offshoot of Mercia. Stafford was comparatively large for a burh, and its defences were strong enough to repel attacks by the Danes in 866 and 913. By the 1086 Domesday Book, the town was recorded as being the property of the Earl of Chester.
The Normans rebuilt the town in stone around 1100, and added a motte and bailey castle on a strategic high point overlooking the River Sow. The castle was first mentioned in 1139, when it was besieged by King Stephen. It was described as being in a state of ruin by 1201, and was never rebuilt.
Stafford remained an important town throughout the Middle Ages. It was a market town, and had a charter to hold a weekly market and an annual fair from 1276. The market square was laid out in the early 13th century. By the 14th century, Stafford had become an important stop on the Carlisle to London road, with several inns and hostelries catering to the needs of travellers.
In the 17th century, the town was affected by the English Civil War. Stafford was on the Parliamentarian side, and was besieged by Royalist forces in 1643. The town was garrisoned by Parliamentary troops in 1645, and was the last town to fall to the invading Scots army in 1646.
After the war, Stafford became a major coaching town, with up to twenty coaches a day passing through on the London to Holyhead road. The construction of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal in 1769 and the coming of the railways in 1837 made Stafford even more accessible, and increased its importance as a commercial centre.
The town continued to grow throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, and became a county borough in 1889. In 1974, it became part of the larger Borough of Stafford, which was itself merged with other boroughs in 1997 to form the presentday Stafford Borough Council.
Stafford has a long history as a market town, and there are still a number of markets held in the town centre. The main market is held every Wednesday and Saturday, and there is also a farmers’ market on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. The town also has a number of speciality markets, including an annual Christmas Market and a regular flea market.
The town centre is home to a number of wellpreserved historic buildings, including the medieval parish church of St Chad, the 14th century Guildhall, and the Grade I listed Stafford Castle. Stafford also has a number of museums, including the Shire Hall Gallery, which houses a collection of Staffordshire pottery, and the Ancient High House, the largest timberframed town house in England.
Just outside the town centre is the Staffordshire Hoard, the largest collection of AngloSaxon gold and silver ever found. The hoard was discovered in 2009 by metal detectorists, and is now on display at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.
Stafford is an excellent base for exploring the surrounding countryside. The town is surrounded by green fields and farmland, and there are a number of footpaths and cycle routes that crisscross the area. The town is also just a short distance from the Peak District National Park, and the Staffordshire Moorlands, both of which offer endless opportunities for walking, cycling, and climbing.
For those who enjoy a more sedate pace, the town centre offers a good selection of shops, restaurants, and cafes, as well as a variety of historic buildings and attractions. There is also a twiceweekly market, and a monthly farmers’ market.
Stafford also has a number of events and festivals throughout the year, including the Staffordshire County Show, the Staffordshire Proms, and the Stafford Food and Drink Festival.
Other vacation destinations in England: