Besides great sights, an interesting history and many exciting destinations, Paulton has a lot more to offer. Here you will find many helpful tips to enjoy your vacation in Paulton.
Here you can find hotels in the area of Paulton
Just type in your destination and get many different suggestions.
Sights in Paulton
Paulton is a town located in the English county of Somerset. It is situated on the edge of the Mendip Hills, approximately 10 miles (16 km) south of Bristol. The town has a population of 5,626 (2011 census).
The origins of the name Paulton are uncertain, but it is possible that it derives from the Old English words polden meaning “fortified place” or “palisaded enclosure” and tun meaning “farm” or “settlement”.
Paulton was first mentioned in historical records in the early 12th century, when it was part of the hundred (an administrative division) of Somerton. At that time, the town had a population of around 100.
In 1224, Paulton was granted a charter by King Henry III which allowed for a weekly market and an annual fair to be held in the town.
The parish church of St Peter dates from the 13th century, although it was extensively rebuilt in the 19th century.
Paulton’s main industry was coal mining, which began in the late 17th century. The town had several collieries, the last of which closed in 1965.
Today, Paulton is a commuter town for Bristol and Bath. It has a number of shops and businesses, as well as primary and secondary schools.
Paulton is surrounded by countryside and there are several footpaths and bridleways in the area. The Gloucestershire Way, a longdistance footpath, passes through the town.
There are several notable buildings in Paulton, including the Market House, which was built in 1770, and the Grade II listed Georgian manor house of Hopton Court.
Paulton Park, a country estate with landscaped gardens, is located just outside the town. The park is home to a variety of animals, including deer, llamas and peacocks.
History of Paulton
Paulton is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Bath and North East Somerset, England. The village is situated on the A4 road, 9mi southeast from the centre of Bath, and 5mi northwest from the centre of Bristol. Paulton was part of the hundred of Bath Forum.
The earliest indication of occupation at Paulton is an Iron Age hill fort on the site of an earlier Bronze Age settlement. The hill fort was probably built by the Dobunni tribe who occupied much of what is now south west England. The Romans occupied the hill fort and constructed a bathhouse which is thought to be part of the legend of King Bladud, the reputed founder of Bath.
In the 6th century the Saxons occupied the site and built a village which they called Polden. Polden is derived from the Saxon word pole, which means pool, and refers to the village’s position on the river Avon. The Saxons built a church on the site of the present day Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels.
The village grew in the Middle Ages and became prosperous due to its position on the major trade routes between Bristol and Bath. In the 14th century the village was selfsufficient with farmers, blacksmiths, butchers, bakers, brewers, carpenters, stone masons, tailors, weavers and tanners all represented. There were also four inns, which would have been welcome to weary travellers.
The prosperity of the village continued into the Tudor period and in 1539 Paulton was recorded as having 67 households, making it one of the largest villages in the area. However, the village was badly affected by the English Civil War and after the Battle of Lansdowne in 1643 much of the village was destroyed by Parliamentary forces.
The village began to recover in the late 17th century and by the early 19th century Paulton was once again a thriving community with a population of over 1,000. The arrival of the Somersetshire Coal Canal in 1827 brought further prosperity to the village and by the mid19th century Paulton had become a major centre for coal mining. Over 3,000 men were employed in the mines and associated industries and Paulton was described as a ‘Miniature Manchester’.
The village continued to prosper until the early 20th century when the coal mines began to close. The last mine closed in 1935 and Paulton entered a period of decline from which it has only recently begun to recover.
Today Paulton is a thriving village with a population of over 4,000. The village has a number of shops and businesses, a school, a library, a doctors surgery, a dental surgery and a number of pubs and restaurants. There is also a village museum which tells the story of Paulton’s fascinating history.
Vacation in Paulton
Paulton is a picturesque village located in the Mendip Hills of England. The village is home to a variety of shops, pubs, and restaurants. There are also a number of historical landmarks and buildings located in Paulton. The village is surrounded by beautiful countryside, which makes it a popular destination for hikers and nature lovers.
Paulton is located close to a number of major cities, including Bristol, Bath, and Cardiff. This makes it an ideal base for exploring the surrounding area. There are a number of public transport options available, including buses and trains.
There are a number of accommodation options available in Paulton, ranging from hotels and bed and breakfasts to selfcatering cottages and camping sites.
The village is home to a number of annual events, including the Paulton Oyster Festival, which takes place in September, and the Paulton Horse Fair, which takes place in May.
Paulton is an ideal destination for those looking to relax and enjoy the English countryside.
Other vacation destinations in England: