Besides great sights, an interesting history and many exciting destinations, Kirkby has a lot more to offer. Here you will find many helpful tips to enjoy your vacation in Kirkby.
Here you can find hotels in the area of Kirkby
Just type in your destination and get many different suggestions.
Sights in Kirkby
Kirkby is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley, Merseyside, England. Historically in Lancashire’s West Derby Hundred, it had a population of 42,810 in 2011. The town is situated about 7.5 miles (12.1 km) north of Liverpool city centre, and contains a retail park and several council estates.
The origins of the town’s name are uncertain. However,Derivation of Kirkby
there are indications that the name Kirkby derives from the Old Norse word kirkja which means church, and by which means village or settlement. The Domesday Book of 1086 records the name as Kirkebi, and later documents use various spellings including Kyrkeby, Kirkeby and Kirkby.
The town’s origins lie in the ancient parish of West Derby, known until the 19th century as West Derby Rural. Kirkby was an area of fields and farms with a smallrow of cottages near Kirkby Moor. A few more houses were built near to these cottages in the early years of the 19th century, but it was only with the coming of the industrial revolution and the building of the Liverpool and Bury Railway in 1848 that the area began to develop rapidly. The population of the rural parish grew from just over 700 in 1801 to over 3,000 by 1851.
The Kirkby and District Cooperative Society was founded in 1869, and Kirkby had its first bank in 1887. The parish church of St Chad was originally built in 1794, but was almost completely rebuilt in 1889.
Kirkby was made a urban district in 1894, and was granted municipal borough status in 1937. It was annexed to the Liverpool Corporation in 1966, and since 1974 has been part of the Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley.
The town’s main landmark is St Chad’s Church, which dominates the Kirkby skyline. The church was originally built in 1794, but was almost completely rebuilt in 1889.
Kirkby Market, in the centre of the town, is a busy indoor market which sells a wide variety of goods. The market is open Monday to Saturday, and has a wide variety of stalls selling fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, fish, clothes, footwear, and household goods.
Kirkby leisure Centre is situated on Cherryfield Drive, close to Kirkby Sports Centre. The leisure centre has a swimming pool, gym, sauna, and fitness classes.
Kirkby Town Hall is located on Ormskirk Road, and is the base for Kirkby’s civic events and functions. The town hall is also home to Kirkby Museum, which tells the story of Kirkby’s history, and has exhibitions on local people and events.
Kirkby Library is situated on Norfolk Road, and has a wide range of books, newspapers, and DVDs. The library also has computers with internet access, and free WiFi.
Kirkby is well connected by public transport, with regular bus and train services to Liverpool and other parts of Merseyside.
History of Kirkby
Kirkby is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley, Merseyside, England. The town has a population of 40,502, making it the borough’s second largest settlement after Huyton. Historically part of Lancashire, Kirkby originated as a small, agricultural village and shared a parish with the neighbouring village of West Derby. Kirkby’s urbanisation began in the early 19th century with the construction of a number of cottage industries and expansion of West Derby. Kirkby became a civil parish in 1866, and a municipal borough in 1933.
The urbanisation and expansion of Kirkby continued throughout the 20th century, with the town becoming a metropolitan borough in 1974. The opening of the M57 motorway and merge of the civil parish and municipal borough in 1977, led to further expansion. The M58 motorway also passes through the southern limits of the town. The Liverpool Loop Line runs through Kirkby railway station.
The name Kirkby is derived from the Old Norse word kirkja (a church) and the Old English word by (a village, homestead or hamlet). The original church was probably constructed around 900 AD, although the first documentary reference to the church dates from 1252. The church was rebuilt in 1718, and again in 1858. The original parish of Kirkby encompassed a large area including the townships of Croxteth, Knowsley, Prescott, robbers Wood and Tarbock. In 1825, theparish of Kirkby was divided into the township of KirkbyinAshfield and the West Derby rural district.
Kirkby’s urbanisation began in earnest in the early 19th century. A number of small industries, such as hat making and coal mining, sprang up in the area. The first school was built in 1816, followed by a police station in 1832 and a gasworks in 1835. The Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway (now known as the Kirkby branch line) opened in 1848, and resulted in the growth of the village of KirkbyinAshfield. The population of the parish increased from 1,039 in 1801 to 9,830 in 1851.
Kirkby became a civil parish in 1866, and in 1894 the parish was divided into urban and rural districts. The urban district comprised the townships of KirkbyinAshfield and Northville, and the rural district comprised the townships of Croxteth Park, Great Crosby, Little Crosby, Maghull, Sefton, Thornton and Yew Tree. Kirkby was made a municipal borough in 1933.
The urbanisation and expansion of Kirkby continued throughout the 20th century. The population of the borough increased from 13,317 in 1921 to 30,892 in 1961. A number of housing estates were built in the borough in the postwar period, including Whitefield, Cherryfield and Northwood. The borough was expanded in 1966 when it absorbed the type B county borough of Prescot, and again in 1974 when it was merged with the Metropolitan borough of HuytonwithRoby to form the Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley.
The opening of the M57 motorway in 1976 led to further expansion of the town. The motorway runs through the northern part of Kirkby, and has junctions at Switch Island and Kirkby (). The M58 motorway also passes through the southern limits of the town. The Liverpool Loop Line runs through Kirkby railway station.
Kirkby is the birthplace of the footballers Steven Gerrard, who played for Liverpool F.C. and captained the England national team, and Peter Reid, who played for Everton F.C. and England. The singer Cilla Black was also born in Kirkby.
Vacation in Kirkby
Kirkby is a town in the Liverpool City Region, England. Historically in Lancashire, it had a population of 40,325 at the 2011 census. One of the main Pullman railway workshops was located here.
The town was likely founded around 700 AD by the Angles. The name Kirkby, from the Old Norse word kirkja meaning “church”, and the Old English by, meaning “village” or “settlement”, implies that there was already a Christian presence in the area.
The first written record of Kirkby dates from the Domesday Book in 1086, where it is listed as Chirchebi, and appears to be well settled with a church, mills and a priest.
In 1205, Kirkby was granted a charter by King John, making it a free borough with a market and fair. It was also at this time that the first stone church, dedicated to St. Chad, was built. The charter also allowed for the construction of a law court to administer the borough’s affairs.
The church was rebuilt in stone around 1250, and again in the early 15th century. It was during this time that Kirkby began to grow into a market town, with market stalls and shops appearing around the marketplace and church. The town’s market charter was confirmed by King Henry VI in 1426.
The 15th century also saw the construction of Kirkby’s first grammar school, Kirkby Grammar School, which was founded by Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby.
The town’s growth continued throughout the 16th and 17th centuries, with more shops and houses appearing. By the early 18th century, Kirkby had become a prosperous market town, with a weekly market, two annual fairs and a range of industries such as weaving, tanning and iron founding.
The construction of the Liverpool and Preston Railway in the 19th century led to further growth, with Kirkby becoming a major railway junction. The town’s population had reached 8,000 by the end of the century.
The 20th century saw further growth, with the opening of a cinema, library and swimming baths. The town’s population had reached 14,000 by the time of the Second World War.
During the war, Kirkby was the site of a major railway maintenance depot, which led to an influx of workers from across the country. The town’s population had grown to over 20,000 by the time the war ended.
Postwar, Kirkby continued to grow, with new housing estates being built to accommodate the town’s growing population. New schools and a college were also built.
The town’s growth continued into the 21st century, with a new leisure centre being built and plans for a new retail park being approved.
Kirkby is a town with a long history and a range of things to see and do. It is an ideal destination for a day trip or a longer stay. There are a number of historical buildings, including the parish church and Kirkby Grammar School, as well as a range of shops, cafes and restaurants. Kirkby is also home to a number of parks and green spaces, including Kirkby Moor, making it an ideal location for a relaxing walk or a picnic.
Other vacation destinations in England: