Hempstead is located in the state of New York and has a lot of culture to offer as well as great sights and interesting destinations. So if you’re planning a trip to Hempstead, you’ve come to the right place!
Here you can find different housings and hotels around Hempstead
Just type in your destination and get many different suggestions.
Vacation in Hempstead
Hempstead is a village located in the town of Hempstead, Nassau County, New York, United States. The population was 53,891 at the 2010 census. It is the largest majority minority community on Long Island and in all of New York State.
Although hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) was legal to grow under English Common Law and was extensively cultivated in Hempstead during the 17th and 18th centuries, the plant’s association with marijuana caused it to become illegal in the early 20th century.
The village is home to the main campus of Hofstra University and the campuses of Nassau Community College and Touro Law School. The Hofstra Museum is located on the Hempstead campus.
In the 1920s and 1930s, several American Legion Halls were constructed in Hempstead.
Hempstead village is also home to enshrined inventor Garrett A. Morgan, who is recognized as the father of the traffic light.
The AfricanAmerican community in Hempstead has produced two Pulitzer Prizewinning journalists: James B. Stewart and Stanley Crouch.
Census data indicates that waves of black migration from the South beginning in the early 20th century increased the village’s population.
The 2010 census found that Hempstead was 45.6% Hispanic, 32.4% African American, 10.6% White (7.6% nonHispanic White), 2.5% Asian, and 0.4% Native American. Other racial or ethnic groups present in smaller numbers include those of mixed race (2.3%), Filipino (0.9%), and other Hispanic groups such as Ecuadorian (0.7%), Salvadoran (0.6%), and Cuban (0.5%).
One of the earliest settlements on Long Island, Hempstead was established in 1643 on land purchased by English colonists from the Hempstead Indians. The first settlers were Edward Starbuck, Edward Betts, and Richard Odell.
In 1784, Hempstead inhabitants petitioned the New York State Legislature to separate from Queens County and form their own county, which was accomplished the following year. Nassau County was divided into three towns: North Hempstead, Oyster Bay, and Hempstead.
Hempstead Village, the first incorporated village on the island, was chartered in 1869 and again in 1915. The village is governed by a sixmember board of trustees, elected to fouryear terms.
The mayor of Hempstead village is Wayne J. Hall Sr., who was elected to a fouryear term in March 2009.
Hempstead is located at 40°43′46″N 73°35′17″W (40.729444, 73.588056).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 4.2 square miles (10.9 km2), all land.
Hempstead is bordered by Franklin Square to the west, Westbury to the southwest, East Meadow to the southeast, Levittown to the east, Uniondale to the northeast, and Elmont to the north.
Hempstead Turnpike (New York State Route 24) is the main eastwest road through the village. Old Country Road runs northsouth through the center of the village. Stewart Avenue and Front Street are important northsouth roads. Merrick Road (New York State Route 27A) is a major eastwest road that forms the southern border of the village.
The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) serves Hempstead with two stations: Hempstead and West Hempstead. The LIRR’s West Hempstead Branch traverse the village from southwest to northeast. The Hempstead Bus Transit Center is located at Front Street and Fulton Avenue. The BeeLine Bus System provides service to and from New York City as well as within Nassau County.
Hempstead is located within the Nassau InterCounty Express (NICE) bus system’s territory. NICE Bus operates multiple routes that serve the village. In addition, the village is served by jitney buses.
Hempstead is located 21 miles (34 km) east of Manhattan, 41 miles (66 km) northeast of Newark, New Jersey, and 85 miles (137 km) south of Albany, the capital of New York State.
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total population of 53,891 people. The ethnic makeup of the village was 45.6% Hispanic, 32.4% African American
Sights in Hempstead
The city of Hempstead is located on the south shore of Long Island in the state of New York, United States. It is the largest incorporated village in the United States with a population of over 55,000 people. The village is part of the town of Hempstead and is served by the Hempstead Bus Transit System.
The village of Hempstead is home to many historical landmarks and sights. The William J. Levitt House, also known as the “Levitt House”, is the former home of William J. Levitt, the founder of Levitt & Sons, which built the Levittowns. The house is now a museum and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Sanford H. Calhoun High School is the oldest high school in Hempstead and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The school was built in 1909 and is still in use today.
The John F. Kennedy Memorial Park is a park located in the village of Hempstead that is dedicated to the memory of President John F. Kennedy. The park features a monument to Kennedy, a granite Eternal Flame, and a bronze bust of the president. The park is also home to the John F. Kennedy Memorial playground.
The Hofstra University Museum is located on the campus of Hofstra University. The museum houses a collection of art, artifacts, and documents that chronicle the history of Hofstra University and the Hempstead community. The museum is open to the public and offers tours, lectures, and programs throughout the year.
The Hempstead Village Hall is the seat of government for the village of Hempstead. The hall was built in 1765 and is the oldest surviving municipal building in Nassau County. The hall is open to the public for tours and houses a museum on the history of the village.
The Topping Rose House is a historic house located in the village of Hempstead. The house was built in 1765 and was originally the home of Rev. James Topping, a Methodist minister. The house is now a museum and is open to the public for tours.
The LIU Post is a private university located in the village of Hempstead. The university was founded in 1954 and is part of the Long Island University system. The university offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs.
The Hempstead Lake State Park is a state park located in the village of Hempstead. The park is home to Hempstead Lake, the oldest lake in the state of New York. The park offers a variety of recreational activities including fishing, swimming, boating, and hiking.
History of Hempstead
Hempstead, New York is a village located in the town of Hempstead, Nassau County, New York, United States. The population was 53,891 at the 2010 census. Hempstead is the most populous village in New York state and the second most populous village in the United States. It is one of three villages in Nassau County, along with Garden City and Massapequa Park, that share the same boundaries as their respective towns.
The village is located within the town of Hempstead on Long Island, which is east of Manhattan and west of the Borough of Queens in New York City. The first settlers of the area were the Rockaway and Merrick Native Americans. The Dutch established the first European settlement here in 1644, calling it Hempstead Plains. The village was incorporated in 1853.
During the American Revolution, Hempstead was a major strategic location for the British. The village was occupied by the British from 1776 to 1783. In 1858, the Lawrence family founded Lawrence Herald, which is now part of the Long Island Forum. The village residents voted to secede from the Town of Hempstead in 1869, so that they could have more local control over their own affairs. The village was reincorporated in 1874.
In 1898, the village’s name was changed to Hempstead Village, to avoid confusion with the town of Hempstead. The village has undergone several other name changes since then, including Hempstead Gardens (in 1917), and East Garden City (in 1930). The current name, Hempstead, was adopted in 1931.
Hempstead has several historic landmarks, including the Old Courthouse (1778), which is the oldest public building in Nassau County; Washington Hall (1790), which was the site of George Washington’s 1790 visit; and the Peter Cooper Post Office (1885), which is the oldest surviving post office building on Long Island.
Other vacation destinations in the United States: