Besides great sights, an interesting history and many exciting destinations, Halesowen has a lot more to offer. Here you will find many helpful tips to enjoy your vacation in Halesowen.
Here you can find hotels in the area of Halesowen
Just type in your destination and get many different suggestions.
Sights in Halesowen
Halesowen is a town in the Bromsgrove District of Worcestershire, England. The town is 6mi southwest of Birmingham and forms part of the Black Country. Historically part of Staffordshire, Halesowen was a centre of nailmaking and later coal mining. It was suggested in 1931 that the town should be incorporated as a municipal borough, but this did not occur until 1965 when it was merged with Stourbridge and Amblecote to form the Dudley Metropolitan Borough, which became a unitary authority Are in 1974.
The town’s football team is Halesowen Town F.C., who play in the Southern League Premier Division. Other sport clubs include Halesowen A & CC, a successful cricket club which has produced one England Test player; Halesowen Golf Club; Halesowen Rugby Club; Halesowen Hockey Club, with both men’s and women’s teams; and Halesowen Swimming Club. There are also several martial arts clubs.
The main shopping area of Halesowen is in the town centre, which underwent a £10 million refurbishment in 2004. Most of the town’s shops are located here, along with a variety of pubs, bars and restaurants. There is also a small shopping centre located in the Leasowes.
The Cornbow Hall, located in the town centre, is a multipurpose venue used for a variety of events and conferences. The hall was originally built in 1834 as a corn exchange, and was renovated in 2004.
There are a number of parks and green spaces in Halesowen, including:
* Leasowes Park, located in the centre of the town, is a grade I listed landscaped garden which was created between 1758 and 1784.
* Hasbury Fields, located in the north of the town, is a large park which contains a playground, football pitches and a bowling green.
* Manor Park, located in the south of the town, is a small park which contains a playground, tennis courts and a putting green.
* Eden Park, located in the east of the town, is a small park which contains a playground and a bowling green.
Halesowen Abbey, located in the Abbey Forces area of the town, was founded in 1215 by Peter des Roches, Bishop of Winchester. The abbey was dissolved in 1539 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries, and the site was subsequently used as a quarry. The Abbey Ruins are now a grade I listed building, and are managed by English Heritage.
The Halesowen Heritage Centre, located in the town centre, is a museum which tells the story of the town from the AngloSaxon period to the present day. The centre is located in a grade II listed building, which was originally built as a grammar school in 1627.
The Halesowen outdoor market, located in the town centre, is held every Wednesday and Saturday. The market dates back to 1215, making it one of the oldest markets in the country.
The Halesowen Carnival, held annually in June, is the largest event in the town’s calendar. The carnival parade includes over 100 floats, and attracts around 50,000 spectators.
The Halesowen Fair, held annually in September, is a traditional funfair which has been held in the town since the 13th century.
The Halesowen Christmas lights, switched on in November, are among the largest displays in the country, and attract around 50,000 spectators.
History of Halesowen
The town of Halesowen is situated in the Black Country in England, about 7 miles (11 km) eastnortheast of Birmingham. It is a part of the Dudley Metropolitan Borough, forming part of the Halesowen and Rowley Regis constituency.
The area around Halesowen, including the nearby village of Cradley, has been inhabited since at least the Bronze Age. Halesowen was first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Hameleshoue, though the entry is somewhat ambiguous. It is listed variously as being in the hundred of Clent (under the headings of lands belonging to Earl William II), in the hundred of Halfshire (under land belonging to Bishop Urien of Bath and Wells), and with 5 hides 3 roods and 1 acre (2.1 ha) of land.
The church of St John the Baptist dates from the 13th century, though it was much altered in the 19th century. The parish of Halesowen, which also included the Chapelry of Cradley, was in the Diocese of Worcester until 1837 when the parish became part of the newly created Diocese of Birmingham.
In 1841, the population of Halesowen was 2,701.
The manor of Halesowen was held by the Abbey of Halesowen (or Hailes) from the 12th century until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539, when it was sold to the Crown. In 1547, it was granted by the Crown to the Dean and Canons of Windsor, and has remained in the possession of the Dean and Canons ever since.
In 1851, the population of Halesowen was 4,814.
Halesowen Grammar School was founded in 1556 by Edward VI, making it one of the oldest schools in the West Midlands. It was built on land sold by the Crown to the Dean and Canons of Windsor for the purpose of establishing the school. The school moved to new premises in 1881, and the original building was converted into almshouses for elderly men and women, known as Canon’s Close.
In 1871, the population of Halesowen was 10,065.
A Local Board of Health was formed for Halesowen in 1854, and became a district council in 1894. Halesowen Town Hall was built in 1892.
In the early 20th century, Halesowen was rapidly expanding, with new housing estates being built to accommodate the growing population. The Lutley district was developed in the 1920s, and Frankley Green in the 1930s. Many of the older houses in the town centre were replaced by new commercial premises in the 1960s and 1970s.
In 1974, the Local Government Act came into effect, and Halesowen became part of the Dudley Metropolitan Borough.
In 2001, the population of Halesowen was 55,273.
Vacation in Halesowen
Halesowen is a town within the borough of Dudley, in the West Midlands of England. The town has a population of 55,273 (2011 census), making it the largest town within the Dudley borough.
There are a number of tourist attractions in Halesowen, such as Leasowes Park, Halesowen Abbey, the Manor Abbey Ruins, and the Rufus Stone. The town is also home to a variety of shops, restaurants, and cafes.
There are a number of accommodation options in Halesowen, ranging from hotels and guest houses to selfcatering holiday apartments and cottages.
For those looking for a more active holiday, there are a number of golf courses in and around Halesowen, as well as a number of walking and cycling routes. There is also a bowling alley and a number of other recreational facilities in the town.
Other vacation destinations in England: