Besides great sights, an interesting history and many exciting destinations, Burghfield has a lot more to offer. Here you will find many helpful tips to enjoy your vacation in Burghfield.
Here you can find hotels in the area of Burghfield
Just type in your destination and get many different suggestions.
Sights in Burghfield
Burghfield is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of West Berkshire, England. The parish includes the hamlets of Burstow, Nights Church and Moulsford. It has a population of 1,931. The village is about 7mi southwest of Reading, and 3mi east of Mortimer.
The name “Burghfield” comes from the Old English for “fortified town”. The first record of the village dates from 995 when it was listed as Burgafielda. According to the Domesday Book of 1086, the manor was owned by Queen Edith, the wife of King Edward the Confessor.
The manor remained in royal hands until the reign of Henry II when it was given to Walter Giffard, the Bishop of Winchester. In 1218, Peter des Roches, the Bishop of Winchester, founded a Cistercian abbey at Burghfield. The abbey was dissolved in the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century. A small part of the Abbey church survives and is Grade I listed.
The village was badly affected by the Black Death in the 14th century. In the 15th century the village was acquired by Reading Abbey. In 1539 the abbey was dissolved and the village passed to the Crown.
Burghfield was the home of the Earls of Onslow from 1717 until 1966. The house they lived in was called Burghfield House. The house was demolished in 1971 and replaced with a housing estate.
The village has a Church of England primary school, Burghfield St James’ CofE Primary School. The village also has a children’s playground and a playing field.
Burghfield has a number of buildings and structures that are Grade II* listed. These include the Abbey Barn, Manor Farmhouse and Church Farmhouse. The village also has a number of other old buildings including the old vicarage, which is now a private house, and Burghfield Court, which is now a care home.
History of Burghfield
Burghfield is a historic village and civil parish in the unitary authority of West Berkshire, England. The village is situated close to the border with Hampshire, approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) northwest of Reading and 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Tadley. Burghfield Common is a large area of open space owned by the Crown Estate and is situated to the south of the village.
The name Burghfield comes from the Old English words for ‘stronghold’ or ‘fortified place’. The village has a long history and was first recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086 as a small hamlet with just 11 households. In the Middle Ages, Burghfield was a thriving agricultural community with a number of mills and other businesses. The village prospered until the late 17th century when it began to decline. This was due to a number of factors including the enclosing of common land, which led to the loss of many villagers’ livelihoods, and the outbreak of the Black Death, which decimated the population. Since then, the village has slowly grown and today has a population of just over 1,000 people.
Burghfield’s most notable landmark is St Mary’s Church, which dates back to the 12th century. The church is built of limestone and flint and has a Norman south door and a 15thcentury tower. Inside the church are a number of interesting features including a 13thcentury carvedfont and a 17thcentury pulpit.
The village is also home to Burghfield House, a Grade II listed building which was built in the early 18th century. The house was the seat of the prominent Pitt family from 1735 to 1820 and was later owned by the Onslow family. Today, the house is home to a number of businesses.
Burghfield is a lovely village with a rich history and plenty of interesting landmarks to explore. Why not come and visit today?
Vacation in Burghfield
Burghfield is a village and civil parish in Berkshire, England. It is situated near the River Kennet, approximately 3 miles (5 km) southeast of Reading. The parish includes the village of Mortimer and the hamlets of Burghfield Common, Riseley and Ufton Nervet. The name Burghfield derives from the Old English burh, meaning fortified place or Hillfort and field meaning open countryside.
The Roman road of Ermin Street, which connected Calleva Atrebatum (Silchester) with Dorchester on Thames passed through Burghfield. A Roman villa comprising four rooms with hypocausts was excavated in 1953–54. The villa was built in the late 1st or early 2nd century and was occupied until the 4th century.
The Domesday Book of 1086 records that the Norman Baron Bertram de Verdun held the Manor of Mortimer, which included Burghfield, and Ufton. Verdun established a castle, which no longer exists, at Ufton Nervet. The manor remained with the Verdun family until 1219 when it was inherited by Isabel, Countess of Winchester and her husband Peter des Roches. Mortimer remained with the Roches family until 1425 when it was purchased by Sir William Hankford, Chief Justice of the King’s Bench.
The village has a number of interesting old buildings. These include the Grade I listed Church of St Mary the Virgin, which has parts dating back to the 12th century. The nave, chancel and transepts are early 13th century, with the north aisle and porch being added in the 14th century. The tower was added in 1632. The interior of the church contains a number of interesting monuments, including one to Dr Richard Hankin, who died in 1631. There is also a monument to Anne Hankin, who died in 1633, and another to William Hankin, who died in 1634. All three are members of the Hankin family, who were major landowners in the area.
Burghfield House is a large 18th century mansion, situated to the north of the village. It was originally built for the Hankin family, but was later owned by the Earl of Craven. The house is now a residential care home.
Burghfield is situated in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and is surrounded by countryside. There are a number of walks and cycle routes in the area, and the River Kennet is popular for fishing and canoeing. The village is also home to Burghfield Sailing Club, which offers both dinghy and cruiser sailing.
Burghfield is well located for exploring the rest of Berkshire, and is just a short drive from Reading, Newbury and Basingstoke. The historic city of Winchester is also within easy reach.
Other vacation destinations in England: